The Balloting Of SCKLM 2019
Approximately two-thirds of the total running slots across all SCKLM 2019 categories have already been taken up by the returning SCKLM 2018 runners who were given the privilege of grabbing slots before it is launched to the open public on 13th Feb 2019.
This week, Dirigo Events dropped one helluva bombshell by introducing a ballot system for the remaining 10,000 running slots for the open public.
I DIDN’T SEE THAT COMING
Some runners find this new ballot system unnecessary and unjust, while others welcome this new initiative as it prolongs the registration period and hence, prevents the computer system from crashing. However, I imagined that most runners were initially shocked at the news because now, they have extra homework to figure out what it all means & what will be the ramifications of the ballot system.
DO YOU FEEL LUCKY?
If you’re not a returning runner and you want to participate in SCKLM 2019, how lucky do you need to be in order to obtain a race bib? That will clearly depend on how many other runners will compete for the limited available slots. To give a simple analogy, if the number of subscribers is 20,000 or double the number of 10,000 available slots, then you have a 50:50 chance to earn a guaranteed slot. Yes, it does sound like the tv episode of the Wheel Of Fortune, but don’t forget that your chances of “winning” a coveted SCKLM 2019 slot will be exactly the same as the next guy.
BUY A RABBIT’S FOOT
Before, you try to calculate your odds to secure a lucky slot and give yourself a mathematical headache, let me share with you below some Hacks to increase your chances of running in the prestigious SCKLM 2019….
SCKLM 2019 REGISTRATION HACKS
- Know Your Game: Use the extra days for registration to read through the information provided on KL Marathon website, and in particular the FAQ section which has been updated, in order to understand the complicated registration process and thus, avoid making unnecessary mistakes and poor judgement.
- Make sure that you are definitely available to race on 28th or 29th September 2019.
- Make sure you have properly budgeted for payment registration, so that if & when you receive registration confirmation by email on 22 Feb 2019, you can affect payment immediately. If you’re not given a guaranteed slot, then why not use that money & take your partner, family or friends for a nice meal.
- Follow & Like the FB pages & IG profile of all the EVENT SPONSORS because sometimes, they will offer free SCKLM running slots via online CONTESTS, but you must be alert to such notifications.
- If you believe in KARMA, make sure you do something good for somebody or rescue & adopt a stray cat, and after that, if you’ve still not got a slot, then at least you can pat yourself on the back for spreading positive vibes around you.
- If you believe in the laws of attraction, keep thinking and talking about how you deserve to run in SCKLM 2019, and the UNIVERSE might just grant you your wish.
- Since SCKLM have an official BIB TRANSFER policy, if you cannot get your own slot, ask around the running community and groups for runners who are willing to transfer their bib to you, but please read the organiser’s small print on bib transfer first because there are strict procedures to follow.
- Do Not Under Any Circumstances Print Your Own Race Bib or Acquire FAKE Bibs, no matter how desperate you get, because you’ll be punished by public shaming and possibly lifelong ban by the organiser.
- If after trying every legitimate channel and you still cannot secure a race bib, then perhaps, you might consider to be a race VOLUNTEER or just simply, go out there on race day to CHEER on your running buddies which will automatically elevate your social status.
- If you have found this article interesting or useful, please feel free to comment & share it, and it won’t take a minute of your time to make this writer’s day…
KEY FAQ UPDATES
- How much does it cost to cast for a ballot?
When casting for a ballot, no payment is required.
- I have secured a race slot, but I am unable to run. Can my friend/family member register with my entry?
No. Successful applicants are not allowed to transfer their ballot entry to another party or change their category under any circumstance.
Anyone attempting to register or run using another person’s entry will be disqualified and banned for life from the Standard Chartered KL Marathon.
- What happens to applicants who have secured a race slot, but did not complete their registration and entry fee payment (drop-outs) by 5 March 2019? Is there a waiting list?
There is no waiting list to make up for race slot drop-outs. However, we have made provisions to ensure all race slots are confirmed for Standard Chartered KL Marathon 2019.
For complete FAQ & more event info.. https://www.kl-marathon.com/about/faq/
*Official Press Release*
STANDARD CHARTERED KL MARATHON OPENS BALLOTING FOR PUBLIC REGISTRATIONS
Due to the overwhelming response to the loyalty registration period for the Standard Chartered KL Marathon 2019 (SCKLM2019), there is a reduced number of slots available for public registrations as compared with the year before. There are a total of over 10,000 slots available across all categories and in order to ensure that everyone has an equal opportunity of getting a race slot, public registrations for the SCKLM 2019 will be in the form of a ballot.
Runners will be able to cast their ballots from 10.00am, 13 February 2019 to 11.59pm 19 February 2019. Ballot selection will be completely random and computerised, and will be activated by YB Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman, Minister of Youth and Sports on 22 February 2019. Successful applicants will then be notified by email and will have until 5 March to complete registration by making payment. Each person is only allowed one ballot entry.
“We’ve taken some learnings from our 10th Anniversary edition last year and to prevent situations where potential participants couldn’t register due to network congestion or poor internet connections, the balloting period will ensure that everyone has an equal opportunity of earning a race slot for SCKLM2019,” said Rainer Biemans, Project Director of SCKLM and Director of Dirigo Events. “We apologise to the running community as we’ve had to institute this system in reaction to the unexpected volume of take-ups during the loyalty registration period but moving forward, we will be using the ballot system for all registrations from 2020 onwards. There will be a guaranteed quota for 2019 registered runners and those who are unsuccessful in the loyalty registration ballot in 2020 will be automatically included in the ballot for public registrations, giving you two opportunities to secure a race slot,” added Rainer.
The multi-award winning Standard Chartered KL Marathon will be held on 28 and 29 September 2019 at Dataran Merdeka.
To the best of my knowledge, all of the information provided herein is accurate at the time of publishing and the views expressed are based on my own personal opinions and findings, and they don’t necessarily reflect the views of the Product Manufacturer, Event Organiser or any Third Party unless explicitly specified otherwise.
About The Author
Gus Ghani is the Founder of Running Toons and Virtual Sports ; a HIIT Fitness Coach, and Magazine Columnist. He has contributed numerous insightful articles to The Star newspaper, Running Malaysia Magazine, and Cycling Malaysia Magazine. LIKE Happy Runner for RUNNING UPDATES, Gus Rider for CYCLING NEWS, Gus Ghani for SPORTS INFOTAINMENT and FOLLOW gusghani @IG for LIFESTYLE.
📺 SUBSCRIBE To My YouTube Channel