IJM- ALLIANZ DUO HIGHWAY CHALLENGE – My Afterthoughts & The Official Story
In its second year, the IJM- ALLIANZ DUO HIGHWAY CHALLENGE has successfully sealed its place as the BEST Double Highway Run Series in Malaysia’s Running Calendar. Here Are 10 Reasons Why…the team of event organisers and partners deserve high praises for their hard-earned efforts :-
- All important event information was well communicated. In particular, the registrants were continuously provided with useful and relevant information updates, guidance and tips in a timely manner via official social media platform, as well as via direct emails.
- The runner’s entitlement pack collection (repc) which took place in a spacious venue, namely Sunway Velocity mall, was conducted smoothly, and ample time of 3 days was allocated for registrants to collect their race kits. Furthermore, there was a nice festival area at repc venue where the registrants could grab great deals from the event partners and vendors including running gears and accessories.
- The Besraya Highway Challenge Running Clinic which was conducted by a running coach at Taman Pudu Ulu had helped runners to undergo some theoretical and practical training. See my related blog post https://gusghani.com/2018/04/20/besraya-highway-challenge-2018-running-clinic-race-day-programme/ .
- The sensible lay-out and space management at both race venues greatly helped with crowd control and eased crowd movement, before and after the race. Even with so many runners, it was easy to access the start pen, and right after the finish line, there were clear direction for the collection of Finisher Tees and refreshments. Also, there was ample space for the finishers to chill-out in groups. Under the influence of wonderful weather and the freeflow refreshments, the comfy runners were in no hurry to leave.
- The well-maintained motorlanes make Besraya & NPE the best road running routes, besides a cushioned running track.
- During the race, the runners were well supported by the cheerful and helpful crew of volunteers, marshals and medics, especially at the water stations which were well stocked with cold drinking water and isotonic drinks.
- There were many distance markers dotted along the route, and roads were well lit. Obviously, the absence of motor vehicles and outsiders allowed all the participants to run safely and without having to breath in exhaust fumes.
- The Finishing Area was extremely well cordoned off which meant that every runner could enjoy a clear path to the finish line, and shortly beyond that, the drink, banana and sandwich stands gave runners an instant energy boost!
- There were many manned counters to collect the ever important Finisher Tees.
- As expected, the amazing prizes for the Champions had attracted a star-studded, international and local field which resulted in a highly competitive race with fast timings in all categories.
The downside of setting the quality bar very high is that our expectations for next year will be even higher. I’m sure that with the same level of will, determination and commitment by the proven Organising Committee, we can look forward to BIGGER and BETTER things from Duo Highway Challenge 2019….
DUO HIGHWAY CHALLENGE 2018 [Part 2]
🛣️Race | NPE HIGHWAY CHALLENGE
Date | 29 July 2018
🏃21km FLAG OFF | 5:30am [cut-off 3:50hrs)
🏃🏼♀️10km FLAG OFF | 6:30am [cut-off 2:50hrs)
Venue | Sunway Pyramid
Main Co-Sponsors | Allianz & IJM
TOTAL RUNNERS | 9,000
#ijmhighway #duohighwaychallenge #21km #10km #NPE #SunwayPyramid #running #roadrace #happyrunner #ECpixels #aftershokzmalaysia #media #bloggerstyle
For Immediate Release
9,000 PARTICIPANTS RUN ON TOTALLY CLOSED NPE HIGHWAY AT THE IJM- ALLIANZ DUO HIGHWAY CHALLENGE
Runners get a chance to explore the all-new Pantai Sentral Park interchange before heading towards Pantai Dalam and finally racing towards the finish line at Sunway Pyramid
Subang Jaya – 29 July 2018: This year’s IJM Allianz Duo Highway Challenge 2018 ended on a high note, witnessing the determination and strong will of every runner who huddled through the finishing line as they took full advantage of the opportunity to run on a totally closed highway. The New Pantai Highway (NPE) attracted more than 9,000 runners from all walks of life who started their run from Sunway Pyramid, making their way through the all-new Pantai Sentral Park interchange towards Pantai Dalam before returning to the finishing line, while thoroughly enjoying the breathtaking view of the sunrise against the city skyline.
After a successful debut last year and due to popular demand, an international category was introduced to attract international participants which drew interested runners from all over the world including Kenya, Australia, Scotland, France, Japan, Singapore, India, Iraq, Italy, and Hong Kong.
The final leg of this year’s IJM Allianz Duo Highway Challenge saw runners crowding the roads of the New Pantai Highway (NPE) from as early as 4.30am waiting for the flag off. The flag off time for 21km was at 5.30am and 6.30am for 10km.
Runners who also completed the first leg of the challenge at Besraya Highway in April were excited to give their best in the second leg at NPE Highway to claim the title as the Champion of the IJM Allianz Duo Highway Challenge. The final winners were selected based on the fastest combined timing from the 21km and 13km at the NPE and Besraya Highway Challenge respectively.
The IJM Allianz Duo Highway Challenge was held in collaboration with IJM Corporation Berhad (IJM) and Allianz Malaysia Berhad as the title sponsors. Organised by Besraya (M) Sdn Bhd (Besraya) and New Pantai Expressway Sdn Bhd (NPE) under IJM’s toll division and EC Pixels, the organizers took extra measures and precautions to ensure the safety of the runners with a fully closed highway, and most importantly, making sure the participants have a great run.
The supporters and finishers of the NPE Highway Challenge also participated in exciting activities at the Race Village, which include performances from dancers to pump up the runners, cheerleaders and drummers that cheered the runners as they made it to the finish line, as well as various challenges and photo booths by sponsors.
Dato’ Soam Heng Choon, Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director of IJM Corporation Berhad said: “Once again, we are thrilled to be the venue partner for this event. The IJM Allianz Duo Highway Challenge has been providing a positive experience of running on a totally closed highway and has established itself as a unique event for sports enthusiasts of all levels. We hope to continue providing a safe and well-organized venue for the runners. At IJM, we have a lot of passion for sports and we are committed to hosting an event that promotes healthy lifestyles and wellness, as well as community engagement, all the while having a great time doing it.”
Zakri bin Mohd Khir, CEO of Allianz Malaysia Bhd said: “It was great to witness thousands of local and international runners living a healthy lifestyle by taking on the Duo Highway Challenge. This has assured us that our efforts in supporting initiatives that advocate healthy living amongst fellow Malaysians is paying off well. Working together with IJM has always been rewarding through our mutual support for such running events where there is a growing interest for people to lead healthier lifestyles by participating in running events. Allianz will continue to support and promote events such as these to benefit the community and encourage people to live healthy.”
The winner of the NPE Highway Challenge for 21km Men Open’s category goes to Poo Vasanthan Subramaniam, with timing of 1 hour 14 minutes and 31 seconds. Meanwhile, Muhaizar Mohamad took second place with the timing of 1 hour 14 minutes and 41 seconds. The third placing goes to Anas Rosli with timing of 1 hour 15 minutes and 25 seconds.
Sheela Samivellu took first placing for the NPE Highway Challenge for 21km Women Open’s category with a timing of 1 hour 26 minutes and 45 seconds. Second placing goes to Chua Khit Yeng with timing of 1 hour 33 minutes and 44 seconds. Third place goes to Noor Amelia Musa with timing of 1 hour 34 minutes and 34 seconds.
OVERALL MEN’S OPEN CHAMPION
With his combined timing from the Besraya Highway Challenge, Poo Vasanthan Subramaniam, was named the Champion for the IJM Allianz Duo Highway Challenge Men’s Open Category. Poo said that “I am happy to retain the title as the Champion. The new Pantai Sentral Park route was a bit tough because it was hilly. However, the beautiful view from the hill makes it all worth it.”
OVERALL WOMEN’S OPEN CHAMPION
“I am very happy to win the Champion of Duo Highway Challenge Women again this year. Although this year’s run was very challenging, I am happy that I managed to win 3 prizes, the Overall Champion for Duo Highway Challenge in Women’s category, 1st place for 21KM Women’s Category and 2nd placing for the International Category. The new route was a bit demanding but at the end of the day, it is all about mental strength and I managed to pull through,” said Sheela Samivellu, the Champion for the IJM Allianz Duo Highway Challenge Women’s Open Category.
OVERALL MEN’S VETERAN CHAMPION
NAME VADIVEELU ARUMUGAM
BLOCK YOUR DIARY
IJM Corporation Berhad and Allianz Malaysia Berhad, along with EC Pixels are also pleased to announce that IJM Allianz Duo Highway Challenge will be back next year on 31 March 2019 for Besraya and 28 April 2019 for NPE.
For more information about IJM Allianz Duo Highway Challenge, and to get the latest results, visit http://www.ijmhighwayrun.com/
Read the official press release for the earlier Besraya Highway Challenge 2018 ➡️ https://gusghani.com/2018/05/17/ijm-allianz-duo-highway-challenge-2018-official-press-release/ .
To the best of my knowledge, all of the information provided herein is accurate at the time of publishing and the views expressed are based on my own personal opinions and findings, and they don’t necessarily reflect the views of the Product Manufacturer, Event Organiser or any Third Party unless explicitly specified otherwise.
About The Author
Gus Ghani is the Founder of Running Toons and a HIIT Fitness Coach, and Magazine Columnist. He has contributed numerous insightful articles to The Star newspaper, Running Malaysia Magazine, and Cycling Malaysia Magazine. LIKE Happy Runner for RUNNING UPDATES, Gus Rider for CYCLING NEWS, Gus Ghani for SPORTS INFOTAINMENT and FOLLOW gusghani @IG for LIFESTYLE.
📺 SUBSCRIBE To My YouTube Channel