5 Powerful Resistance Band Workouts by Coach Gus
Have you ever used the resistance band (what I call, “The Strap”) to workout? If not, then you really should give it a try because the strap is the most economical and handiest exercise tool that you can possibly own.
There are literally 100s of ways to use the resistance band to enhance your exercise workouts, and its advantages are :-
- Easy to use.
- Its VERSATILITY: You can use it to work both major & minor muscle groups.
- It’s CHEAP (my cost RM35) and lasting.
- You can use it practically ANYWHERE.
- It’s pocket-size and lightweight means that you carry with you EVERYWHERE.
So, get the strap coz here are a few of my favourite Resistance Band exercises with video demo for each one.
5 Resistance Band Workouts
- Strengthen The Legs: (a) Seat upright on any bench. (b) Hold the band at each end, and place it on the ground. ( c) Step right foot at the centre of the band, and make sure band is taught. (d) Lean back slightly, and raise your right leg until your right knee is close to your chest. (e) Exhale and slowly straighten your right leg by pressing the right toes against the band – make sure you can feel the band resisting by pulling the band back tight to work your right leg muscles. (f) Just before your right knee is fully straighten, bend the right knee slowly to bring knee back near the chest to position(d). (g) Repeat (d) to (f) 12 to 18 times, and do the same exercise for the left leg. VIDEO Legs Demo.
- Strengthen The Chest: (a) Stand upright with legs hip-width apart, while holding the band tight in a horizontal position at chest height with arms almost straight in front. (b) Exhale and slowly pull the band outwards with both arms keeping at chest height throughout the movement. (c ) When you have stretched the band as much possible, slowly return the band back to the start position (a). (d) Repeat for 12~18 repetitions. VIDEO Chest Demo.
- Strengthen The Hips/Glutes: (a) Stand upright and tie the band tightly around your legs above the knees. (b) Your legs should be hip-width apart and knees slightly flexed. (c ) Keeping your hips still, turn your RIGHT knee slowly outward against the resistance of the band. (d) Turn RIGHT knee back to start position (b). (e) Keeping your hips still, turn your LEFT knee slowly outward against the resistance of the band. (f) Turn LEFT knee back to start position (b). (g) Repeat the exercise while alternating right & left knees until you’ve completed total of 20 repetitions (or 10 repetitions for each knee). VIDEO Hips Demo.
- Strengthen The Biceps: (a) Stand upright and hold the band at each end with the middle of the band slightly in front of your feet on the ground. (b) Step RIGHT foot on the band, and pull the band slowly upwards as far as possible by bending your elbows and raising your forearms to the front – make sure your upper arms are still and close to your sides at all times. ( c) Repeat movement 12~18 times. (d) Step LEFT foot on the band, and pull the band slowly upwards as far as possible by bending your elbows and raising your forearms to the front – make sure your upper arms are still and close to your sides at all times. (e) Repeat movement 12~18 times. VIDEO Biceps Demo.
- Strengthen The Triceps: (a) Place the middle of the band over your left shoulder, so half of it is hanging to your front and back respectively. (b) Grab the band near your left shoulder with your RIGHT hand and your bent left arm will be positioned across your chest (c ) Place your left hand at the small of your back with palms facing away from you, and grab the other end of the band. (d) Stretch the band directly upwards by straightening your RIGHT arm over your head and hold your upper RIGHT arm still – at the same time,make sure that you keep your left arm still and your left hand is holding the other end of the band in place against your lower back. (e) Slowly return the band to start position (b) by bending your right arm. (f) Repeat movement 12~18 times, and then repeat on the opposite side to work the left triceps equally. VIDEO Triceps Demo.
Get The Strap!!
Remember, all the movements described above must be done in a SLOW and continuous action to really isolate and work those targeted muscles. For best results, you should reach MUSCLE FATIGUE for each exercise, meaning that you will not be able to complete the last repetition because your muscle is totally exhausted. For best RECOVERY, I recommend that you consume adequate PROTEIN from lean meat or from a protein shake as recommended by your physician or nutritionist.
To the best of my knowledge, all of the information provided herein is accurate at the time of publishing and the views expressed are based on my own personal opinions and findings, and they don’t necessarily reflect the views of the Product Manufacturer, Event Organiser or any Third Party unless explicitly specified otherwise.
About The Author
Gus Ghani is the Founder of Running Toons and a HIIT Fitness Coach, and Magazine Columnist. He has contributed numerous insightful articles to The Star newspaper, Running Malaysia Magazine, and Cycling Malaysia Magazine. LIKE Happy Runner for RUNNING UPDATES, Gus Rider for CYCLING NEWS, Gus Ghani for SPORTS INFOTAINMENT and FOLLOW gusghani @IG for LIFESTYLE.
📺 SUBSCRIBE To My YouTube Channel