SCKLM 2015: Meet The Seiko Pacers
Venue: Adidas outlet at The Gardens, Mid Valley, KL
Chillin’ With Adidas
Today’s proceedings started with Race Director, Rainer, playing Santa Claus and distributing the official Adidas shoes, socks, Climachill running vest (light green) and Climachill black shorts to the gleeful Seiko Pacers. From what I was told, compared to the Adidas Climacool material, the newly launched Adidas Climachill material is thinner and lighter. It would be interesting to see how Climachill reacts to 4-6 hours of sweat compared to its thicker cousin, Climacool.
Next, Running Coach and Head of the Seiko Pacers for SCKLM 2015, Mark Williams opening remarks were encouraging, “You (Pacers) have done a great job.” Then, it was quickly back to serious business, “If you are 5 minutes off your (prescribed) pace, please take-off your pacer’s vest because you are no longer of any use as a pacer. However, by all means, do enjoy and finish the race. Also, if you are supposed to run a certain pace, make sure you keep to that pace throughout the whole run.” With 6,800 marathoners expected on race day, Mark further explained, “You’ll find many runners following you. So, don’t be overwhelmed by the huge crowd and make sure you stick to your task as a pacer and ….Remember to keep talking to your runners, so that they do not fall-back.”.
At this point, I started feeling some pity towards the pacers who will have to run like clockwork to meet their stringent targets. As a side note, it seems that if a runner’s pace fluctuates alot as a result of steep elevation or fatigue setting-in, then, it will not be wise to follow a pacer. For runners, like me, who do not run at a constant pace, the pacers’s balloons are still good indicators to check how fast or slow I am running in relation to my desired finishing time.
Coach Mark finished-off his presentation with more valuable lessons for the Pacers, “I suggest you run a total of 50-30km in your new Adidas shoes & outfit in the next two weeks before the actual race day to break them in.”
What Motivates Pacers
I took this rare opportunity to gather some running insights and tips from Coach Mark (see “A” below) and 5 of his helpful Seiko Pacers (see “B” to “F” below), and here are my findings:-
A. Mr Mark Williams – Pacer Coach
1) FM Personal Best is 2:31 at Macau Marathon 2004.
2) Mark’s tip for pacers, “Talk to your runners”.
3) Mark’s running mantra is “to finish at all costs”. However, Mark admitted that he DNF once at Hong Kong Marathon, where he took a cab back home from near the halfway point because he was too unfit to continue.
B. Mr Lionel Lee – Seiko Pacer
1) Pace Time: 3:30
2) 4th Time SCKLM Pacer
3) FM PB: 2:56 at Hong Kong 2014.
4) Tips For Runners: “Don’t worry so much. Just follow”.
5) Running Mantra: “Just begin. The rest is easy.”
6) Others: Lionel weekly mileage was 100km before he achieved his FM PB. So far, in 2015, he has ran HK Marathon & 3R Marathon in Putrajaya.
C. Mr Lim Yew Kuay – Seiko Pacer
1) Pace Time: 4:00
2) 3rd Time as SCKLM Pacer
3) FM PB: 3:39 at Shakespeare Marathon 2015.
4) Tips For Runners: “Trust your training”.
5) Running Mantra: “What the mind believe, the body can achieve.”
D. Mr Teoh BJ – Seiko Pacer
1) Pace Time: 5:00
2) 1st Time as SCKLM Pacer
3) FM PB: 4:11 at Twincity Cyberjaya 2014.
4) Tips For Runners: “Consistent & Consistent”.
5) Running Mantra: “Go glory or Go home”.
E. Mr Wong Sing Haow – Seiko Pacer
1) Pace Time: 5:30
2) 1st Time as SCKLM Pacer
3) FM PB: 4:28 at Kuching Marathon 2015.
4) Tips For Runners: “Do your best. Follow me. Don’t rush.”
5) Running Mantra: “Keep going no matter what. You can do it.”
F. Ms Low Chooi Wan – Seiko Pacer
1) Pace Time: 6:00
2) 3rd Time as SCKLM Pacer
3) FM PB: 4:59 at Borneo Marathon 2009
4) Tips For Runners: ” Try your best! You can do it!!”
5) Running Mantra: “I believe I can!!”
Malaysia’s No.1 Marathon is only two weeks away. Here are 5 Fun Facts about SCKLM to get you in the mood:-
1. SCKLM 2015 will host a record-breaking 6,800 Marathoners. For Half Marathon, a staggering 8,900 runners will take-part.
2. 821 running tourists will take part from 30 countries with 261 runners representing Singapore .
3. At its peak, 3,900 finishers are expected to cross the finish line between 8:30am to 8:45am.
4. 8 tonnes of bananas will be consumed on race day, and
64,000 litres of water and 17,000 litres of isotonic drinks will be served to all runners.
5. Happy Runner will be running only his 10th FM on 4th Oct & he hopes to do it without any help from the sweeper bus!
Since there will be no more official SCKLM media functions until race day, I would like to thank Dirigo Events & Essence for including me in this wonderful chapter of the SCKLM story. Also, many thanks to DBKL, KL Traffic Police, FTKLAA, Standard Chartered Bank, Honda, Adidas, Seiko, and other generous event sponsors and partners for their enormous contribution to the continued success of SCKLM. To the Running Tourists, I welcome you to our beautiful country. To my fellow Runners, let’s rock-n-run KL like our lives depended on it..!!
About The Author
Gus Ghani is an internationally certified Fitness Coach & a columnist for Cycling Evolution Magazine who loves to take-part in Endurance Sports. Gus is also the ambassador of ElliptiGO bicycles, 2XU Compression Wear, Newton & Innov-8 Running Shoes.
For more running news, follow Happy Runner.