HOW TO RIDE AN ELLIPTIGO?
I have noticed that many people are apprehensive and some are even scared to ride the ElliptiGO for two reasons:-
1) They simply do not know how the pedalling mechanism works, and/or
2) They are scared of being higher off the ground when riding in the standing position on the GO as oppose to being seated on a conventional bike.
The minimum physical requirement for riding an ElliptiGO (“GO”) bicycle is that you must be able to ride a conventional bicycle because the skill required to balance on both are very similar. However, the leg movements when pedalling a standard bike is quite different to the leg movements when riding a GO. While the former is using primarily the leg muscles in a seated pedalling action, the latter is a running motion which not only works your running muscles but it also gives you a good core workout because you have to engage your core to remain balanced and upright throughout the ride. Hence, we say that riding the GO is 15% harder than cycling a bicycle.
HOW TO START
1. Make sure that the ground is level and there are no immediate obstacles in the road ahead of you.
2. Make sure the gear is on number 1, 2 or 3. The higher the number, the less the resistance.
3. Stand beside the GO & place both hands on the handle bar and use the brakes to keep the GO still.
4. Release the kick-stand.
5. Place the foot nearest to the GO on the foot pad furthest away.
6. Push the GO forward & at the same time, position the other standing foot on to the foot pad nearest to you, and start moving both your legs in a forward elliptical movement. Just imagine that you are running or walking forward. Do not move in a reverse direction & always move forwards.
7. To turn the GO, right or left, turn the steering handle accordingly and lean your body weight to the direction to which you are turning.
GO RIDING TIPS
1. Make sure you carry a spare tube and a handheld pump.
2. Make sure you carry enough water and energy bar to last your whole journey in case there are no shops along the way.
3. Carry a hand phone in case of emergencies & always tell someone where you will be going and for how long.
4. Remind yourself to engage your core muscles and keep upright position without slouching.
5. Always be mindful of other road-users including pedestrians.
6. Do not grip the handle bars tightly and keep your shoulders relaxed to avoid wasting energy.
7. How hard you want to ride will depend on your pace, route elevation, ride duration and the weather.
8. It’s always safer to ride in pairs or in a group.
9. Choose a riding partner or group with similar fitness and pace as you.
HOW TO STOP
1. Scan the road ahead for a safe place to stop.
2. Apply the brakes gently and ease the GO to stop.
3. Keep your legs on the same level.
4. Just as the GO is about to stop, lean the bike to the curb and place the foot nearest the curb down.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
– Runners who want to improve their personal best times
– Runners who want to train without impact
– Sportsmen who are recovering from injuries
– Patients who are undergoing physiotherapy
– Someone who hates to workout indoors
We are the exclusive distributor of ElliptiGO in Malaysia.
We can arrange test rides, rental and purchase of ElliptiGO upon request.
If you have any questions, please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ride Safe. Ride Happy.
Fitness Coach & ElliptiGO Consultant